Tuesday 21 August 2018

#90 - Go To Bed Motivated, Wake Up Lazy 08/21/18

Go to bed motivated, wake up lazy. Story of my life. Well, maybe not my life. Definitely today, though. I woke up this morning, and just didn't have the urge to do anything. Hence the fact that this blog is going up around noon, when it's normally the first thing I do in the morning.

Does anyone else have days like this? When you go to bed the night before, you have that "let's fucking do this!" mentality. Then the next morning, your alarm goes off and all that motivation has just disappeared? Not just when it comes to work, but everything: exercise, projects, goals; I don't know why it's so common. I think it's easy to tell yourself that you'll start something tomorrow, and then justify being lazy in the now because you'll make up for it the next day. Then the time comes to put up or shut up, and, well, you end up posting a blog 3 hours later than you intended to.

It's easy to talk a big game. It's infinitely harder to put your money where your mouth is. As I've mentioned before, part of the reason I decided to start a daily blog was to force myself to get into a working mindset first thing in the morning. Crossing blog off of my "to do" list really does motivate me to keep going and get everything else I want to get done that day finished. Most days, the thing I find hardest is forcing myself to sit down and churn one of these things out. I know that once I start, I'll work all day. It's just easy to convince myself that as long as I don't write a blog, I don't have to do any of my other work either. Lazy....

Another reason I get unmotivated sometimes is because I know that Rome wasn't built in a day. In a normal work day, I try to exercise, blog, email clients, write jokes, work on one of my other projects (writing, podcasts, etc) and get on stage at night. I know that finding success at any of those things takes time, and the little steps add up. But sometimes, it's hard to force yourself to take a little step. I constantly find myself trying to justify skipping a day, telling myself that in a month this day off won't matter anyways. Frankly, that's probably true. The problem is that it's way too easy for one day off to turn into two. Three. Five. Before you know it, you haven't made any progress on your goal in a week, and then you say fuck it.

I guess the point of this blog was to convince myself not to take a day off. It worked, because as soon as I post this, I'm going to go work on the jokes I want to try tonight. So if you have a goal in mind, no matter what it is, try to take a step every day. Force yourself to do something to get a little closer, even if it's just something small. I think more often than not, you'll find that small step kicks you in the ass and motivates you to keep going. Just keep moving forward.

Thanks for reading.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment