Monday 20 August 2018

#89 - NXT Earned a New Fan This Weekend 08/20/18

I know, I know, "another wrestling blog".... I'm bound and determined to reach my goal of 100 blogs in 100 days, and after almost 90 of these things, it gets hard to figure out what to talk about. Wrestling is just one of those topics I can blab on about for days.

I was going to review SummerSlam, but my friend Andre is coming by this week to record a podcast with me about it, so I'll save my thoughts for that. (That's my world renowned 'Adam Wastes Time' podcast; available on iTunes, PodBean, and YouTube!). However, I would like to take a quick minute to touch on NXT TakeOver, and NXT as a whole.

Prior to Saturday, I had never watched NXT, despite several of my fellow wrestling nerd friends telling me that I'm missing out big time. Much like IMPACT, New Japan, ROH, etc, the idea of trying to get into a new wrestling product turned me off. I have to learn all the names, who's good, who's bad, who hates who....it just seems like a lot of work. Admittedly, that's a stupid mentality. I love pro wrestling, and don't really care for the WWE's product right now. There's so many alternatives these days, I was just being close minded and lazy in not giving them a shot.

So this weekend, I finally decided to buy in to the hype, and give NXT a chance. Holy.......hell. It was a fantastic show from top to bottom. I'm not going to go into a fun fledged review here, I think Andre and I will touch on it during our podcast, but there wasn't a bad match on the card. It was so obvious that these guys and girls had been given the green light to go out there ad try to steal the show, and damned if that's not what all of them did. It was so much fun to watch, and I legitimately popped 3 or 4 times while sitting by myself watching it. (Adam Cole is the fucking man.)

It was one of those shows that reminded me of why I became a fan in the first place. I didn't know much of the backstory in regards to any of the matches, and I didn't watch it for the storylines. I just wanted to watch the wrestling. I'll be tuning in to NXT moving forward, certainly priority over RAW and SmackDown. And I'm more interested than I've ever been in checking out some alternatives to get my wrasslin' fix each week. I'm not wasting anymore of my time on a stale product that I just don't enjoy (WWE).

So hats off to everyone involved with TakeOver this weekend. That was one of the best shows I've watched in years, and you have a new fan in this guy. Well done.

It's still real to me, dammit.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment