Friday 13 July 2018

#51 - "Live Your Life Like a Movie" 07/13/18

This isn't quite a "people I look up to" blog, but it is going to be Joe Rogan-centric.

In case you didn't know, Rogan is a stand up comedian, and he hosts one of the most popular podcasts in the world, 'The Joe Rogan Experience' (highly recommended, they can be really interesting conversations, and they're perfect for helping pass time on long drives). He's also the guy that used to host Fear Factor back in the day, if you don't get online much.

I wouldn't necessarily say I look up to Joe Rogan. While he's an accomplished comedian, his style isn't one I really draw much inspiration from. If anything, I emulate his podcasting style more than I do his stand up traits. He's incredibly good at holding conversations with people about a variety of topics, and when he gets into chasing dreams, working hard, getting in shape, etc, he can be pretty motivating.

There are a ton of Youtube videos out there where people have taken clips from various episodes of his podcasts, slipped some music into the background, and made some pretty powerful montages. Specifically when he talks about doing what you want with your life, chasing goals, stuff like that. One of the soundbites that shows up in most of these videos is Rogan saying, "...live your life, like you're the hero in your own movie..."

I know it took me a while to get to it, but I fucking love that quote.

I don't know if Joe came up with it, or if he heard it somewhere, but it's awesome. I try to keep it in my mind when I feel lazy or unmotivated. I really do ask myself, "if I was in a movie right now, would I be cheering for me?" If I just stay home and play video games instead of hitting up those open mics, the training montages in my movie are gonna suck. As long as I keep trying to get better, eventually this movie will have a happy ending.

Same thing applies when it comes to dealing with people. The hero in a movie is the hero because you want to see them win. They're usually pretty nice people. When you see Rocky walk little Marie home, and watch him feed his pet turtles, you realize he's a pretty nice guy. That makes you want to see him beat Apollo Creed. So try to be nice to people. Not only so people will like your movie, but because it's just the right thing to do.

If more people just pretended that they were heroes in movies, the world would be a much better place. When a camera is on someone, you often get an entirely different version of a person than you do when nobody is watching. And, I'm not saying I'm the hardest working guy in the world, I'm not. Or that I'm the nicest person all the time, I'm definitely not. But whenever possible, I keep that Rogan quote in my mind, and it really does make me work a little harder and be a little better as a person. I try to be the hero in my movie.

Or anti-hero, at least.



Thanks for reading!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment