Thursday 14 June 2018

#22 - I Like Being At Home 06/14/18

I love being at home.

I like being home more than anywhere on the planet. I can do whatever I want, my dog and my girlfriend are here, it's quiet. My favourite place. As I've gotten older, I like it more and more. The days of going out drinking 2 or 3 nights a week and staying out all night are long gone. If I stay out until 2 in the morning drinking, I pay for it for a week.

Sometimes I feel like an odd man out in comedy, because some of the comics that I like hanging out with most are still at a point where they like to drink and stay out late. And that's totally cool, I used to be the same way. But I'm 34 now. I totally understand why old people go to bed right after dinner and get up before the sun everyday; I'm half way there and I'm right on track.

I've embraced it, too. I don't think everyone slows down as they get older and start to mature a little more, but a lot of people do. My ideal night out with my friends now is going to someone's house for a few beers and a board game or something. Half the time, I don't drink because I don't want to chance a hangover the next day. Fifteen years ago, I'd get paid on Friday and be broke by Monday. Now, I'd rather keep the $100 I'd blow at the bar and save it, because I'm a frugal old man....

And this isn't me shitting on my friends that still like to go out and drink and stay out all night. Not at all. Part of me feels left out when I talk to them and hear the stories from last night, because I want to be part of the group and hang out with them. But a bigger part of me just likes listening and laughing, but doing it after a good night's sleep because I went home instead of tagging along the night before. They say life is about doing what makes you happy, and what makes me happy is hanging out on the couch with my dog after a show.

It's not to say I don't still go out and do things. I just pick my spots a little more carefully now. And then when I do decide to go out, I try to make it count, because I want it to be worth it the next day. But I'm really embracing getting older. I'd rather feel a little left out, but do something I want to do than tag along with people I can't keep up with anymore and wish I'd just gone home.

I've been working on a joke about how I can't wait to be one of the old guys you see at McDonalds and A&W every morning that just sit there with their friends drinking coffee. But it's kind of true.

Thanks for reading.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment