Wednesday 13 June 2018

#21 - Bucket Lists.... 06/13/18

I have no idea if "Bucket Lists" existed before the movie from a few years ago. I'd never heard of them.

For quite a while, I thought they were kind of dumb. I liked the concept, I just got sick of hearing the term "bucket list" all the time. Anytime someone achieved anything, "cross that off my bucket list!" But the more I've thought about it, the more I kind of like the idea of writing down a list of things you want to experience or achieve before you die. I think it motivates some people to try things they would have never done otherwise, or go after a dream with a little more gusto. I don't know how many people actually have a written out list, but I'm sure almost all of us have things we want to do before it's too late, even if you just keep them in to yourself.

That said, this blog is about writing my thoughts down. So with zero preparation, here's a few items from my "bucket list":

Attend a WrestleMania

As some of you may know, I'm a longtime pro wrestling fan. I've been to a few live events in the past, but never a big pay-per-view or anything. And the biggest PPV of them all is WrestleMania. I've wanted to go for as long as I can remember. Even when the week to week product isn't at it's best, WWE pulls out all the stops for WrestleMania. I would be a 10 year old kid all day; t-shirts, fake title belts, freaking out and screaming for 6 hours....I think it'd be incredible!

Next year's 'Mania is in New York, and my girlfriend and I have always said we'd love to go back there....

Play in the Main Event of the World Series of Poker

There was a time where my friends would play poker, and I'd only come along because I didn't want to sit at home by myself. But I caught the bug, and I've loved the game ever since. We went to Vegas last year, and I spent the majority of 3 days just playing drinking and playing poker, and it was a fucking blast. I get why non-players find it boring, but the idea of sitting at a poker table all day sounds like a pretty good time to me. The Main Event at the World Series lasts for a week, and it involves several long, LONG days of poker in a row. It's the biggest poker tournament in the world. That sounds awesome!

The buy-in to the Main Event is $10,000 U.S. As of this morning, that's $12, 977.95 CAD. It'd be easy to look at the number and think it'll never happen. But you can win your way into the tournament by winning smaller tournaments. Or, you can save your money. When you're 10, and you get $15/week for an allowance, saving up a few hundred dollars for something seems impossible, too. I'll play that tournament someday. 

Write a Novel

I've been slowly plugging away at this project for a while now, but I've thought about writing a fictional novel for most of my adult life. Until recently, it was just a thought in the back of my mind, but now I've begun the process of putting ink to paper (or computer typing...to....whatever). I don't know if it'll be successful, or published, or even good, but I just want to cross the finish line. Honestly, I could be working a lot harder on this than I am, things keep distracting me (see yesterday's blog; "Nintendo"), but I'm committed to seeing it through. If anything, just so I can cross it off this list.

Own an Original Ms. Pac-Man Arcade Machine

They don't all have to be big and inspiring achievements. It's my favourite arcade game, and I want one.

Book a Comedy Tour

The newest addition to my list. Over the last 12 months or so, I've slowly started booking some of my own comedy shows. For the most part, I enjoy the process. It's more stressful, but it's also really cool being your own boss. You decide what other comics you'll be working with, how much of the money you make yourself, how much time you get to do every night. I'm not ready yet, but down the road, I want to book my own tour. I don't know how long of run it would be, how many shows, if I would headline, co-headline. I don't know anything. Yet. But I'll learn. And I'll make it happen someday.



I guess that's it for now. I'm sure there are a hundred more things I want to do, but this is long enough as it is. And the best part is that none of this is impossible at all. Some of it will just take money. Some of it will take time. Most will take both. But I have zero doubt in mind that I'll be able to cross all these off my list someday if I just keep plugging away. 

I strongly recommend that you take just 5 minutes out of your day when you can, and think about stuff you want to accomplish before it's too late. You still have lots of time. And writing it down really does make anything easier to focus on and achieve 

Plus, if you write your bucket list down, you actually get to cross stuff off of it. And that's the best part!

Thanks for reading. 

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment