Thursday 4 January 2018

Back at it

Happy New Years, Merry Christmas, blah blah blah.

I hope you had a great holiday season, and if you're one of those Resolution/New Year, New Me types, I hope you haven't given up yet. People that don't make resolutions shit on people that do all the time. I don't make them (anymore), but if you are, I really do hope you stick with it. And if you fall off the horse, don't wait 365 days to try again. Just get up and get back on it, or whatever analogy hits home for you.

I had a good time in 2017. Sure, I could look at all the negative stuff, (sex scandals, Trump, the Habs), but fuck that. I had a great time this year, made some strides toward my comedy goals (becoming a headliner and meeting Bill Murray), and Shaley didn't break up with me. Wins across the board. I was going to take a look at some of the comedy goals I set at the beginning of the year, and set some new ones, but my 2 year joke-telling anniversary isn't until January 21st, so I'll do a blog about that stuff closer to then.

I decided to sit down and write a blog today to kind of kick myself in the ass, and get back into my normal routine. Taking a couple weeks off for Christmas was awesome, but I only had 4 or 5 shows in about 2 weeks, and that consisted of no open mics, and no working on new material. (In my limited defence, a lot of the open mics around Edmonton take a little time off for Christmas as well). I haven't really been working out, I've eaten my weight in chocolate, and now it's time to shake that off and climb out of the lazy hole I've been digging for the last 14+ days.

One of the shows I was part of over that span was a New Years Eve show in Kelowna, BC, with Mike Dambra and Rob Balsden. We got a great turnout and had a fun show. My girlfriend, Shaley, even came along for the ride this time. There was a moment when we were sitting after the show, and I posted a Facebook status: "I spent New Year's Eve telling jokes in Kelowna with the two people I consider the biggest influences on my comedy career, Shaley & Dambra. It was a really nice way to end one of the funnest years I've ever had." It was a cool moment, and I'm very lucky to be surrounded by good people.

Me, Rob, and Mike after our New Year's Eve show for Train Wreck Comedy in Kelowna, BC
On New Year's Day, Mike flew home, and Shaley and I drove up to Quesnel to visit some of her family for a couple days. Working on New Year's Eve was a privilege, but getting an opportunity to spend a couple days with some family we don't see often enough was icing on the cake. I got a chance to record a podcast with my nephew, Ben, as well. He's an up and coming YouTube star, and turned out to be a great interview! That should be up this Sunday, and you'll be able to find it on iTunes, YouTube, or HERE.

Now we're home, and it's time to get back to work. I got a yoga session in today, sent a bunch of emails out to some bookers, and now I'm wasting time with this thing. My girlfriend is going out this afternoon, so I'll have the house to myself to focus on writing some jokes and getting this motor kick started. And I'm heading down to Black Dog on Whyte for the Underdog Comedy show tonight to put my name in the draw (they draw names for spots on the show), which will hopefully lead to my first official set of 2018. Get after it, and shake off that rust!

The last thing I wanted to touch on in this blog, is a side project that kind of fell into my lap. I have a meeting next week with some producers from Twitch. I haven't really talked about it too much, but I've been offered a chance to compete on a reality show that will be filming in Edmonton this year. I'm 50/50 on whether or not I'll do it right now; it sounds fun, but I would have to cancel a fair amount of my comedy bookings to do it, as well as I take 6 weeks off from my day job, and at this point in my comedy career, I don't know if that's something I should, or can afford, to do. It would be a great opportunity to pick up some social media followers and get my name out there, but as I've stated in here many times, my end game isn't to get famous or anything, I just want to tell jokes for a living. So I'll keep everyone posted on how that's going in my next blog.

I guess that's it for this bad boy, my first blog of 2018! (Side note, that's enough with your stupid "the millennium is legal now!" jokes) Thanks for reading, and supporting me, and all that jazz. Let's get after it this year and make some shit happen!!

Adam


No comments:

Post a Comment