Friday 17 August 2018

#86 - Driving 08/17/18

I'm leaving for Calgary in a couple hours. I'll be at Yuk Yuks down there this weekend, so if you're in town come by and say hi!

I'm pretty excited. It's a really great room, and I like the comedians I'm working with. I'm also gonna catch up with a couple friends of mine from Elementary school on Saturday for lunch and a podcast. And then I'm coming back Saturday night after the show, and spending Sunday watching SummerSlam with Shaley. Sounds like a sweet weekend to me :)

I'm driving down and back by myself. I actually really like being on the road alone. Riding with comedians I like is always sweet, and it's nice being able to do shifts behind the wheel. But (particularly in the Summer) there's not much I enjoy more than driving alone. I can listen to my shitty pop music or my video game/wrestling podcasts and not make anyone else suffer through them.   Whenever I'm in the car with someone else, I never want to put on awful music or inconvenience them at all. I hate asking to stop to go to the bathroom. Which is dumb, because with a couple notable exceptions, most the people I've spent any real time on the road with have been awesome.

Some of the best times I've had in comedy so far have been joking around in the car with comics on the way to shows. Driving through BC with William Hannigan and Steve McGovern at like 4 in the morning, laughing about the stupidest shit. Mike Dambra and I have come up with about 10 ideas for awful sitcoms while we drive through the night.  I don't even know if the stuff we've come up with is funny, or if we're just laughing to try and stay awake, but man it's fun.

Sometimes, a weekend of shows can sink or swim based entirely on the people you're working with. One of things that motivate me to try and improve as a comic is wanting to reach a point where I have some say in who I go on the road with. Getting paid to hang out with friends is about the coolest job in the world.

Anyways, thanks for reading. 14 of these things to go!

Have a great weekend.

Adam



No comments:

Post a Comment