Saturday 4 August 2018

#73 - Venom 08/04/18

Almost forgot about this damned thing! My nephew got into town today, so my mind is on video games and junk food. But I'm so close to 100 straight days, I'm not stopping now!

The new Venom movie come out in about 2 months. I'm not a big movie guy, and I honestly don't know that much about comic books, either. But I've always liked Spider-Man. And I've always loved Venom.

I was so excited for Spider-Man 3. More than any movie ever. Spider-Man 1 & 2 were fantastic. When I saw Venom was going to be in the third flick? I lost my fucking mind. I figured, "this may end up being my favourite movie of all time!". I just assumed it would be of the same quality as the first two, and they were making my absolute favourite character ever the villain. The stars were aligned...

And then I saw that they were casting Topher Grace as Eddie Brock. Now, I like Topher Grace. I used to love That 70's Show. While I was skeptical, I figured I'd give the guy a chance. How bad can they screw up a character as cool and popular as Venom??

*sigh.......*

As you probably know, it turned out they could screw him up really, really, badly. I don't blame Topher Grace. The dude was offered a chance to play one of the coolest villains ever, in one of the best superhero movie franchises ever. After the fantastic big screen appearances of Doc Ock and Green Goblin, Venom seemed like a lay-up. To this day, I understand what they were trying to do. Venom/Eddie Brock was going to come across as an evil/mirrored version of Spider-Man/Peter Parker. There are all kinds of articles about how Venom was a last minute addition to the movie and stuff, but I'm not getting into that. At the end of the day, the movie wasn't very good. It broke my heart. I swore I'd never get that excited for a film again (which saved me some serious heartbreak when it came to Ghostbusters 2016). 

But then, after years of speculation, we got an official Venom announcement. He was getting his own movie, and the guy that played Eric Foreman wouldn't be anywhere near it. I was still nervous about it. The wounds from Spidey 3 had finally healed. And when they said it wouldn't involve Peter Parker, my spider senses starting tingling.

But once I saw the second trailer, and we got a glimpse of Venom in all of his big, black, slimy glory, I was sold. Plus, Tom Hardy is awesome. Guys, this movie looks good. People are crapping all over it because Spider-Man isn't it, he doesn't have the Venom logo on his chest, blah blah blah. I'm excited. They look like they're going to be fairly loyal to the Lethal Protector storyline, and that sounds awesome to me. I pray, PRAY, that Cletus Kasady gets introduced in this flick, and we get a rated R Venom vs Carnage sequel. But let's seee how this movie turns out before we start talking sequels....

*drool........*
Like I said, I'm not a big movie guy. And after Spidey 3, I swore I wouldn't let another movie get ahold of me like that. I can't handle being hurt that bad again. But Venom showed up at my door, flashed his tongue, and he got me. I'm hooked, and I can't wait for this movie.

Please, please, please.....don't screw this up.

Adam


No comments:

Post a Comment