Friday 1 June 2018

#9 - Just Try 06/01/18

I put off trying stand up comedy for about 15 years after I graduated High School. And for no good reason.

Part of it, as I've mentioned in this blog before, was because I wanted to keep the fantasy of doing stand up in my pocket. It was something I could daydream about while I was at work, but I didn't actually have to do the work or take a risk. Part of it was laziness. And part of it was thinking that I couldn't do it, so why try?

After trying it, I discovered I could do. And it motivated me to start trying other things I wanted to do but never got around to doing. And it made me realize that if you step back, and honestly ask yourself why you haven't tried something you want to try, you probably can't come up with a very good reason. Because chances are, there isn't one.



This clip is my favourite video on the internet. (Except maybe the one of the squirrel that turns and looks at you while the dramatic music plays). Kevin Smith seems like a good dude, and his message here really hits home with me. Be a "why not?" There's just no reason not to try something you want to try. Maybe you can't do it at the highest level right away, but you have to start somewhere. I love the old adage, "If someone else has done it, you can do it."

You want to lose 100 pounds? Lots of people have done that. You just have to start. Watch what you eat and exercise! Want to start a business? The internet makes it as easy as ever to work from home in your spare time! You've always wanted to learn a second language? You can buy courses online and start it in minutes without leaving your house! It doesn't matter what it is, there's a way to do it. And there's just no reason not to. It doesn't matter what road block you use for an excuse, there's a way to get around it if you look hard enough. 

I think the problem most people have (I know I did with comedy, and still do with other projects), is that the first steps you have to take are the hardest ones. You don't know what you're doing, you're out of your comfort zone, and maybe you're afraid of looking stupid. You know who looks stupider than someone trying to better themselves? Someone that isn't doing anything except sitting around and complaining about where they are in life. 

I know it sucks, and it's hard, and you'll want to quit. But don't quit. If you take a day off or a step in the wrong direction, shake it off and keep moving. Before you know it, you'll look back, and you'll be amazed at how many steps you've taken. And suddenly whatever you're trying to do isn't uncomfortable; it's the most exciting part of your day. It can, and will, change your life.

Just, try.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment