Thursday 28 June 2018

#36 - The News 06/28/18

I hardly ever watch the news, anymore. It's just too negative for my tastes. I understand that "fear sells", or whatever they say to justify it, but I just find it depressing.

"Two people were killed today..."

"More and more people are overdosing on this new drug..."

"Terrorists attacked....."

They squeeze a little positivity in where they can, but for the most part, the news isn't exactly a morning motivator. A couple years ago, I made the decision to turn it off, and now I only watch when someone else is and I happen to be in the room. You don't need to watch it anymore. Social media and the internet will make sure you know about the really important stuff, and you can trim out a bunch of the negativity that they shove down your throats everyday.

I suppose you could make a good argument that social media can be even more toxic than the mainstream media is, but at least you have some control over it. I make a point to unfollow twitter accounts that I find are full of negativity, and you can "snooze" on anyone you want on Facebook, so you don't see their posts. (I'm willing to bet that every single person reading this blog that spends time on Facebook has friends that just whine and complain on there 24/7. Snooze 'em!). When you sit down to watch the news, you're at the producer/director/whatever's mercy. They put whatever they want on the air, and that's what you see. And, it's usually negative.

Maybe you'll read this post and think to yourself that I need to grow up. Like Rocky says, "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows", and I understand that. I've just made a commitment to spending as much time as I can focusing on the good in life. I prefer going through my days with my head in the sand. If something really big or important comes up, I'll see it online. I'm not going to waste an hour of my morning being told what's wrong with the world today.

I also understand that maybe there's a little irony in posting a blog being negative about people that are negative. Snooze me.

Thanks for reading.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment