Sunday 3 June 2018

#11 - Small Town Comedy 06/03/18

(For the record, if I ever get a chance to tell jokes in theatres or arenas or anything like that with regularity, this blog will become void)

I've been telling jokes for a couple years now, and I've had the opportunity to do shows in a bunch of different places. And while the club shows are fun, and the bar shows are great for learning, my favourite shows (by a MILE), are small town Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba shows. I don't even care what the venue is, as long as the audience is made up of people from small towns in the Prairies.

There's been shows in community centres and banquet halls, a couple small theatres, we did a show in a tent outside (that the audience had to get up from their seats and hold down so it didn't blow away while we were performing), and they've almost always been awesome. The people are so nice, and usually pretty drunk, haha. And they're just looking to have a good time. It's the best.

I haven't come across too many situations where you have to worry about being overly "PC" either, which adds to the fun. Admittedly, I don't take the biggest chances on stage in regards to my material and what I talk about, but it's just more fun when you can swear and make fun of the people or town without worrying about them complaining. Just last night, I was part of a show in Penhold, AB (thanks to Bradley Layden for the hook up!), and it was so much fun! 50-75 people in a bar, everyone is drinking and having a good time. Anyone that heckled had good intentions, and for the most part just wanted to be roasted in front of their friends. Shows like that are the funnest part of the job.

I don't know what it is about small towns. Maybe they have a stronger sense of community or something, but they're just the nicest people from the second you get to the venue. Offering you something to eat (usually INSISTING you have something to eat), handing you piles of drink tickets, everyone wants to talk to you afterwards. You feel like part of the community right away. I guess part of it is probably that there isn't much else to do, so they're excited for the night out, but I don't care if that's why they're so much fun to be around. I love it. I've stated before that I'm not looking to get rich or famous, and I stand by that. Give me a bunch of those shows in community centres and Legions, let me do them with a lineup of my friends, and I'm the happiest guy in the world.

Just in the past couple months, I went to Pierceland with Mike Dambra and Brent Ayton, Drayton Valley with Will Hannigan and Andrew Albert, and like I mentioned, last night in Penhold with Miklos Blackshaw, Brad Semotiuk and Bradley Layden. All of them were awesome, and we all had a really good time. When you get a good audience like we had at these shows, I legitimately think the comedians have as much fun as the crowd does. That's my favourite part.

Keep 'em coming :)

Have a good Sunday!

Adam


No comments:

Post a Comment