Friday 25 May 2018

#2 - Minimizing 05/25/18

A little while ago, I watched a movie called, 'Minimalism: A Documentary About The Important Things'. It was really, really good. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It turns out that the two guys behind it have quite the following, and a great podcast as well. I strongly suggest you check them out at the links below.



Basically, minimalism is the concept of eliminating unnecessary clutter from your life. Stuff that doesn't add any value to your day. The most popular form of it revolves around the removal of material possessions. I was fascinated by the documentary, and actually began getting rid of a lot of my stuff shortly after I watched it. You don't realize how much stuff (or in most cases, junk), you have until you really take a step back and look at it. I started selling things that I didn't really need or care about anymore. It was hard at first, you can't help but feel attached to all your stuff. But once I got the ball rolling, it felt really good! Less clutter, less un-organization. It felt the same as it does after you clean out your car, and then take it for that first drive. (So good!)

I ended up putting the money toward some really fun things, too! I bought my podcasting equipment, I got my girlfriend a new computer, and we even took a trip to Vegas! More recently, I've been putting the money toward a tattoo sleeve that I've wanted forever. (I used to describe it as "putting the money into my arm", but that got too many weird looks). It was all stuff that had meaning to me, instead of just having clutter laying around the house, collecting dust. I legitimately felt happier. Life seemed more organized, and I found it easier to focus on whatever I was doing.

My girlfriend and I even went as far as to sell our house, and move into a smaller place, with a much smaller mortgage. We spend the money we saved on doing stuff, instead of buying stuff. We eat out more, go to movies, take vacations. We're under much less stress financially. Moving turned out to be one of the best decisions we've ever made. A big house just meant more cleaning and upkeep. Fuuuuuck that. 

I've started to apply the minimalism concept to other aspects of my life, too. I've cut out things and people that don't add any value to my life. In some cases, it's just stuff I don't want to do anymore (moving from our single family house into a townhouse means I don't have to cut two lawns and shovel a driveway anymore), and in other cases, it's people. I've ended a ton of relationships over the last couple years, for various reasons. In most cases, it wasn't so much that I didn't like the person, but that I found the relationship toxic. It was bringing me down, more than it was picking me up. 

None of those "break ups" were meant to be malicious. I don't hate anyone. And frankly, if I'm not making someone's day better, I'd encourage them to cut ties with me. With no butt-hurt, either. Life is too short to spend it around people you don't want to be around. 

I don't mean for this post to come across as preachy, or arrogant. But I just really find myself happier with less. Less stuff to look at, less obligations to take care of, less people to deal with. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not trying to make every day as enjoyable as you can, then you're not doing life right. 

Wanna buy some of my stuff?

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment