Thursday 30 August 2018

#99 - Excited to be in Ontario 08/30/18

This morning, I'm sitting in the club's condo in Kingston this morning, getting ready for a three week run at the Absolute Comedy Clubs in Kingston, Ottawa, and Toronto.

I'm really excited for the chance to do these clubs again (Toronto for the first time). I had the opportunity to come out and hit Ottawa and Kingston last year, and they were a blast. It's fun getting to perform for different audiences and see some new cities, and there's a bunch of shows, so you stay pretty busy. The clubs are always packed, the staff are awesome, and the audiences are sick. A bunch of really fun shows. I owe my friend Mike Dambra an incredible debt for opening this door for me.

An extra bonus is that I have a lot of family out here that I very rarely get to see, so having a few of them come out to a show or two is really cool. My Grandma can't make it out to a show, but I have a Sunday off this week and I'm going to rent a car and drive up to Trenton to see her, which will be the highlight of the entire run for sure. Living on the other side of the country, I rarely get back this way to visit, so catching up with everyone is an insane perk to the job.

When I started stand up, I was driving a forklift at Uline during the day and hitting up the open mics at night. I'd spend my days fantasizing about life as a full time comedian; sleeping in, having the day to do whatever I want, travelling, and work for a few minutes at night. It sounds perfect. Now that I've been at it for a few months, I've realized it's a lot more work than I thought it was. I spend a big chunk of my day emailing and writing, begging people to let me get on their stage. It beats the hell out of driving that forklift, though. Be it comedy, or whatever I end up doing, I'm never working for someone else again.

If this comes across as bragging, that's not my intention. I'm just a guy that's gotten insanely lucky over the last couple years, and writes blogs about it. If you've read the last 98 of these things, I have to assume you're at least moderately interested in what I have to say.

Thanks for being interested.

Adam


No comments:

Post a Comment