Saturday 18 August 2018

#87 - Motivation 08/18/18

Last night, I got to middle at the Yuk Yuks in Calgary. I opened for Brittany Lyseng, who got to headline the club for the first time. I'm happy to say she did really well, too! If you're reading this before tonight, you're in Calgary, you want to laugh, and you can check off all those boxes, please come to the show!

Last weekend, I got to host for my friend Celeste (who is actually hosting for Brittany at the club here in Calgary tonight), as she headlined her home club for the first time back in Edmonton. Two weeks in a row, I was fortunate enough to get to work with a really funny, humble comic, as they headlined their first weekend at a club. I think that's really cool for a couple reasons.

I'm legitimately happy for them, because they're nice people. Far too often in comedy (and in the rest of this world, for that matter), people get overtaken by feelings of resentment and jealousy when someone gets something. In stand up, there's a ton of "I'm funnier than them", or "How did they get that??" whenever someone gets a chance to take the next step. Admittedly, I've done it myself way more than I should. I really am happy for both of them, and I've decided to do my best to make a conscious effort to support my fellow comedians when something good comes their way. We should be working together. When one of us succeeds, it just opens a door for more of us to step through. We're all just trying to be funny.

If you put a positive spin on someone else's success, it can also be a wicked source of motivation. They're where I want to be. Instead of being resentful of someone else's success, I use it as something to strive for myself. I want to be a headliner, and I want to be a good comic. Watching people evolve into headliners is as powerful of motivator as anything out there. Seeing someone accomplish something you want to do yourself is proof that what you want is obtainable. Just put your head down, and keep working.

It's been a great couple of weekends. Today, I'm gonna meet up with a couple old friends of mine from elementary school for lunch and a quick podcast, and then it's one more show before I head home. 

Sure beats sitting on a forklift at Uline :)

Thanks for reading!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment