Wednesday 1 August 2018

#70 - "Getting Stuff Makes You Lazy" 08/01/18

I listened to an episode of Joe Rogan's podcast a couple weeks ago, and Ari Shaffir was on it. He's probably my favourite regular guest of Rogan's, I strongly recommend checking out any of their episodes. 

Anyways, they were chatting about comedy, and something they said struck a cord with me. They were talking about comics that get handed too much, too fast, and how it makes them lazy. It applies to most creative walks of life, but in comedy in particular. They brought up comedians that get noticed early on, and start getting handed opportunities right away, and how bad it can be for their overall development. They feel they don't have to work as hard, because they're already catching some breaks. And then down the road, when the doors don't always get held open for them, they aren't ready to push them open themselves. 

I can totally understand what they're saying. When I started getting a couple chances to go on the road and open for other comedians, I totally took my foot off the gas. I had 20 minutes (that looking back on, wasn't even very good). But I figured it was getting me work, comedy is easy, and I had made it. What kicked me in the ass and really got me writing and grinding again was watching the other comedians coming up beside me getting better. I'd see them at the open mics constantly trying new jokes and improving their set, and I wasn't doing that. It was only going to be a matter of time before I fell behind and got left in the dust. 

I feel fortunate to be cutting my teeth as a comic in Edmonton, because we have a lot of great up and coming comedians here. I look to them for motivation. I almost look at it like a healthy competition. If one of us succeeds, it's good for all of us, because it shows that it's possible. But we can all push each other to get better. That's how I look at it, anyways. If Will or Brad show up with a killer new bit, I'm happy for them. But it makes me want to go home and come up with a killer new bit, too. I don't think you can stop working and trying to get better in comedy. If you do, people will fucking blow right by you. 

Every comedian I know has seen that headliner that has an hour of material, and then they just stop trying to get better and coast on that hour. Same thing applies to openers that come up with 30 minutes they're happy with. There are open mic comics that have been doing the same 5 minutes for a year. But someone tells you you're good, or you start getting work, and you stop working. 

I've drilled it into my head that if I stop working, people will stop working me. There's too much competition out there. Don't get lazy, and put in the work. Because eventually, people are gonna stop holding doors open for me, and I don't want to get left outside.

It's a dumb analogy, but you get what I'm saying. I hope.

Thanks for reading!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment