Sunday 17 June 2018

#25 - Nostalgia 06/17/18

Nostalgia is the fucking best. 

It's obvious that these days, companies everywhere are trying to cash in on it. I don't know if generations before mine have that strong sense of attachment to the stuff they grew up with like us 80's kids do, but I don't remember seeing every business under the sun trying to peddle stuff from my parent's childhoods to them when I was little the way they do to adults today.

I love that awesome, familiar nostalgic feeling I get whenever I watch an old episode of the Ninja Turtles, or play Super Mario World. I like daydreaming about what life was like as a kid, particularly this time of year. Summer vacation was the best. I vividly remember riding my bike home one day after the last day of school, the sun shining down and not having a care in the world. 10 weeks of sleeping in, video games, and staying out later than I could during the school year. Some of the best times of my life. 

That rush of nostalgia comes back this time every year, going outside in shorts and a t-shirt and feeling the sun. Chances are almost everybody has things that trigger that same feeling. Just yesterday, my girlfriend and I went out to my parents' campsite for the day, and we all hung around chatting and playing games. Sitting outside of the trailer, with that campsite/fire smell, brings back a lot of fond memories, too. (Although, as an adult I can sit outside and drink of beer, instead of hiding from bugs inside of the trailer playing Gameboy like I did as a kid). 

I have zero issues with businesses trying to cash in on the stuff that ties people to their childhoods today. When we were kids, there was so much cool stuff out there, but we didn't have any money. Now as adults, we still love retro video games, cartoons, and movies, but we have cash to spend this time. Who doesn't own a shirt or two with something vintage on it? It's why Hollywood keeps making sequels and spinoffs to popular, old movies. Some successfully, and some.....well.....

*cough* Ghostbusters *cough*

Going to a flea market or some thrift store and seeing action figures or something from my childhood is one of the best feelings in the world to me. As a kid, you can't wait to grow up and have money and a job. And now, most the adults I know would give anything to go back to being a kid for a week. 

Ninja Turtles, Mario, Ghostbusters, street hockey until the sun goes down, eating shitty food all the time.....fucking nostalgia.

Have a great Sunday. Happy Father's Day!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment