Thursday 16 August 2018

#85 - Getting Older 08/16/18

I'll be 35 in a few months. It's been 17 years since I graduated High School. I'm not an old man, but I'm certainly well on my way. There's a lot of grey in the beard these days. Does anyone else still feel like the 90's were "10 years ago"?

When you're young, people give you advice and you blow it off. You figure you know better. And then the same people trying to give you advice tell you they thought they knew better when they were your age, too. But still, you figure you actually do know better than they did. And then you get to be their age, and you realize they were right; you didn't know anything.

You might have to read that twice.

I figured I knew better. And now I know that I didn't. Anytime someone gives me advice these days, I hear them out and consider what they're saying, because I know that's what I should have been doing when I was younger. I'm embracing getting older, because as I've matured, I've realized that I don't know as much as I think I do, and I'm willing to really listen and learn for the first time in my life.

I also have less patience, under the right circumstances. I'm more than patient when it comes to waiting for something. However, I've learned not to have any patience when it comes to bullshit. And that's an absolute blessing. Everyone realizes different things at different points in their lives. It took me a long time to realize that I don't have the time, or the patience, to put up with crap from people that don't deserve my time, or my patience. Instead of putting on a fake smile and putting up with something I don't want to put up with, I just walk away now. And it's improved my quality of life drastically.

If you're condescending or rude, I don't have time for you anymore. If the only time you text or contact me is when you want something, you probably don't get much more than a one word reply these days. I have fewer friends, and I love it. Everyone should do a little spring cleaning in regards to the people they associate with, and get rid of the dead weight. Life is too short to spend it trying to please everyone. Figure out who you really value having in your life, and focus your energy on building a stronger relationship with them, instead of trying to spread your time out amongst everyone.

Almost everyone has a least one friend that they just don't like. A friend, that you don't like. Does that make any sense at all?

Get off my lawn.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment