Tuesday 7 August 2018

#76 - I Can't Fix Things 08/07/18

Yesterday morning, my stupid washing machine stopped working. First world problems, I know, blah blah blah. It's frustrating that an appliance that's about a month past it's warranty broke. It's more frustrating that I can't fix the damned thing myself.

I suck so hard at working with my hands. My brother is a journeyman electrician, and he's fairly mechanically inclined. He just isn't much of a social butterfly. I can talk my way out of most situations, but I don't know which end of a hammer you're supposed to hit the nail with. If you combined the two of us, you'd get a fast talking repairman that would probably be worth a million dollars...

So when stuff breaks around my house, it drives me crazy. Because I want to fix it myself, but I know there's about a 50/50 chance that I'll just make it worse. And like, a 90% chance I'll get pissed off in the process. And I try. YouTube has actually helped me become a very minimally accomplished repairman. I fixed a leaking toilet a few years ago (it took three trips to Home Depot for parts, because I bought the wrong one the first two times), and God damn, it felt good. This freaking washer, though...

I got this far with my washer's attempted open heart surgery before I gave up and called someone. Stupid washer....

I don't have the patience, the tools, or the skill set to be a handyman. I'm so happy when I hear other people say the same thing, because I know it isn't just me. When I have to call a repairman, I like to chalk it up to the old "well, their work comes with a warranty" excuse, when most of the time I was just in over my head, anyways. Luckily, Shay fell in love with me for.....well.....I don't know why she fell in love with me. But it wasn't for my mechanical intuitiveness, that's for sure.

So as I sit here and write this blog, I'm waiting on the call back from the service company so they can come fix my stupid washing machine. I wish I could fix it myself, but I don't think I can. I have coffee, and the one tool every person should have in their toolbox; a laptop connected to the internet.

Fucking washing machine. At least now it'll have a new warranty....

Adam


No comments:

Post a Comment