Tuesday 24 July 2018

#62 - Roman Reigns.... 07/24/18

WARNING: This is one of my wrestling blogs. If you aren't a booger eater like me, you won't like this post very much. You've been warned.

Last night on RAW, they confirmed that the main event at SummerSlam this year will be........sigh.......Brock Lesnar and Roman Reigns.

Raise your hand if you're excited. Anybody? That guy in the back, you're excited? Oh, you were just stretching.....

I don't hate Roman Reigns as a wrestler. I don't think he's anything special, but he's certainly adequate. I'd watch him ahead of the likes of The Great Kahli any day. But this "Roman Reigns Superpush" has gotten out of hand. I can't remember ever seeing a wrestler get forced down the fans' throats like this. You could argue Lex Luger back in the day, but Luger didn't main event FOUR straight WrestleManias. Super Cena was pretty rough for a while, but at least John Cena got himself over naturally, first. Triple H drove me away from wrestling at one point because of how he buried everyone he stepped in the ring with, but like Cena, he put in his time first. 

Reigns was crazy over as a member of The Shield. I don't know how much of that could be attributed to Roman personally, but the fact remains that we cheered for him when he was storming through the audience with Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose. But then The Shield broke up. Rollins and Ambrose went on to have a fantastic rivalry with each other, while Reigns strapped on his jet pack and shot to the top of the mountain. I don't have an huge issue with his initial push. The Shield had been hot, and Vince and friends decided to try Reigns as a main eventer. Fair enough. You won't know who will work there until you try. But it didn't work. It was obvious fans were rejecting it. Vince didn't (still doesn't) care, though.

I've read that at live events, Reigns gets cheered. Particularly by the children. And I understand it's business, and kids buy merchandise. Or, their parents do anyways. But the WWE has tried EVERYTHING to get the overall fanbase to buy into Roman Reigns. WrestleMania main events. Calling out Brock Lesnar. Winning Royal Rumbles. REIGNS HAS PINNED THE UNDERTAKER AT WRESTLEMANIA. None of it is working. This isn't going to work, either. Fans are sick of Reigns, and they don't want to watch him wrestle Brock Lesnar (again) at SummerSlam. WWE, you have a ridiculously talented roster at your fingertips, and you keep going back to the same old, same old. Why?!

For the record, I know not everybody feels this way. I know there are Reigns fans out there. Good on you. There's nothing wrong with that. But don't @ me, telling me I'm crazy and that Reigns is over. You can like him all you want, it doesn't mean you don't hear the "boo's" on RAW every week. 

Try something new, WWE. Turn him heel. Move him down the card and give Rollins/Balor/Strowman/Samoa Joe/Elias/Lashley/ANYBODY a shot instead. Try ANYTHING. It's brutal. I'll keep (casually) watching, because I want to see the above mentioned wrestlers, in addition to Styles/Miz/Nakamura/Hardy etc, and the women's division. I just won't be paying a lot of attention to your main events until they change,

Maybe that makes me part of the problem. I keep watching despite the Reigns experiment. Lots of us do. And without competition, WWE knows it.

How bad do we need WCW back?

Thanks for reading. It's still real to me, dammit.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment