Wednesday 20 June 2018

#28 - Tattoos 06/20/18

I'm in a good mood this morning. I got on stage a couple times last night, it's beautiful outside, and it's tattoo day.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend to be a hardcore tattoo addict, because I'm not. I went about 10 years between getting my first couple tattoos, and starting the sleeve that I'm working on now. But I've always liked them. Obviously, not everyone takes time and plans out their tattoos in great detail, but I respect anyone that feels passionately enough about something to get it permanently put on their body. 

And, yes, I know you can have them removed. But, my understanding is that if you think getting a tattoo done in the first place hurts, try having one taken off. It sounds awful.

Personally, I've always thought tattoos were cool. People used to say things like, "how are you going to feel when you're 80 and you have _____ drawn on your ______?" which I think is a stupid point of view. First of all, who cares what you look like when you're 80?? And secondly, tattoos have become so common place, you might be the only one without some wrinkly ink when you're old at this rate.

I used to have so many ideas for tattoos when I was younger. The only thing that stopped me from getting more of them done was that I didn't have any money. (Thank God!) I'm actually too embarrassed of most of my old ideas to rehash them here, but needless to say, I dodged a few bullets thanks to my starving bank account. I remember having friends in High School complaining that you have to 18 to get a tattoo, but looking back on it now, that might not be old enough. I can guarantee you someone reading this has something drawn on their body that they got done when they were younger, and wish they could go back in time. 

I have a rule now, 6 months minimum. If I have an idea for a tattoo, give it at least 6 months. If after 1/2 a year I still think it's a good idea, I'll look into it. With that rule in place, it took me 10 years to decide on my next tattoo. I would never tell someone else what to do to their body, but I think you're making a terrible mistake rushing in to get the logo of a TV show drawn on your arm or something 3 episodes into the show's run. And those people that get sports team's championship tattoos BEFORE the team wins? blarrrgggghhhh.....

If you don't have any tattoos, but you've always wanted one, I highly recommend it. Just take your time, think long and hard about what you want, and then do your homework when it comes to choosing an artist. When I decided to get my arm sleeved, I asked around and looked into several artists before I decided on one. His portfolio of work was incredible, he specialized in comic book style art (which is what I wanted), and he came HIGHLY recommended by numerous people.

Set some money aside (tattoos are expensive!!), and don't cheap out. This isn't a t-shirt you can get rid of if it doesn't feel right. Spend the money and get quality work done. Go to a reputable, clean studio. You won't miss that extra couple hundred dollars in a year from now, but you'll hate yourself if you don't spend it and end up fucking up your arm/leg/chest/neck/whatever.

And if you're worried about the pain, don't be. I'm the biggest wimp I know, and I don't find it that bad. That said, I've never had my ribs or my neck done. But if you're considering something on your arm (particularly your bicep), it's more of just an annoying scratch than an excruciating pain. Don't be a baby.

It's tattoo day. Today will be a good day.

Thanks for reading!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment