Monday 11 June 2018

#19 - Is Blogging Self-Indulgent? 06/11/18

This blog is a way for me to get my thoughts down on paper(ish), and it also gives me an opportunity to write, which is one of my favourite pastimes. But that said, I realize this is a pretty self-indulgent blog.

It pretty well just circles around me, and whatever I'm thinking about at the time. I've read articles that say if you want to build a successful blog, self-indulgence is a no-no. People don't particularly care what you think about the world. And while that's probably true, I didn't set out to build a successful blog. So yeah, this thing is self-indulgent, and I'm going to keep indulging. 

One of the hesitations I had when I decided to try and write a daily blog was that people would think it was obnoxious, and that I'm just being full of myself. And that's probably exactly what some people think. But I'm not going to do something I enjoy, simply because some people might not like it. Frankly, the blog has been getting a pretty significant number of hits each day (in my eyes), so somebody is reading it.

I truly believe that there are an endless number of great ideas out there, and people hesitate to act on them. And in some cases, it's because whatever the idea is seems impossible, or maybe it's not practical and it doesn't fit into that person's day to day life. But I really think one of the biggest reasons people don't act on their ideas is because they're afraid of what others will think. I know I personally have several ideas that I've hesitated to put into motion because of that very reason. And that's just dumb. 

If doing something is going to make your day to day life happier, do it. It's that simple. Fuck what anyone thinks of you. You owe it to yourself to be happy, and you owe it to the world to bring your ideas to life. Smartphones, Netflix, video games, etc, are all the end result of someone having an idea, and having the drive, and the balls, to bring it to life. If other people like what you're doing and they support you, that's awesome. If they don't like it, that's fine, too. They'll ignore it, and you can just keep on keeping on.

If seeing my posts every day irritates you, I hope you ignore them and move on. If you think I'm a little full of myself, maybe I am. But I enjoy writing these. And that's all that matters.

And if you do read these blogs, thanks for being interested in what I have to say. You may not get anything out of them other than killing 90 seconds of your day, but know that I appreciate you reading. 

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment