Monday 4 June 2018

#12 - CM Punk 06/04/18


I've decided to dedicate a few of these blogs to personal heroes of mine, and people I look up to. First up? Former pro wrestler, and current MMA fighter, CM Punk.

And no, if you don't know anything about wrestling, CM Punk isn't his real name. Although with some of the names parents give their kids these days, it's probably not the worst option out there....

CM Punk is a former pro wrestler. He wrestled for years before he made it onto TV, but I didn't know anything about him until he made it to WWE. And even after he was in the big leagues, it took a few years before he evolved into the "Voice of the Voiceless/Best in the World" persona that he found his biggest success with.

When Punk came into WWE,  his "gimmick" was pushing being straight edge (someone that doesn't do drugs, smoke, drink alcohol, etc) on people, and telling them why it made him better than them. He was fun to watch wrestle, but I didn't connect with the character at all. Then one night, he cut a promo that has come to be known as The Pipe Bomb. He basically sat on the entrance ramp, and just vented all his frustrations with the company. He laid into the management, the McMahon family, the fans, his co-workers. It was awesome. (If you're a wrasslin' fan, you're probably nodding in agreement right now). That was the night Punk started becoming one of my favourite wrestlers of all time. He went from Mr. Straight Edge, to calling himself "The Voice of the Voiceless". He would say what he wanted, when he wanted. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

I wouldn't have classified him as a hero of mine at that point. I was a huge fan, (frankly, he was the only real part of WWE worth watching at the time), but the buck stopped there. At the end of the day, he was an athlete that also played a character on TV. I don't have any issue with people looking up to fictional characters, I do *cough* Spider-Man *cough*, but CM Punk didn't connect with me like that. I just enjoyed his work.

But then, a few years later, Punk walked out of WWE. It wasn't a *sigh* "fake" storyline. He had had enough of being walked all over by his employers, and decided it wasn't worth it anymore. He walked out. A couple months after that, he appeared on a podcast and told his story. He explained to the fans, and the wrestling community as a whole, why he left. He was tired, broken down, fed up with the decisions the company was making, and most importantly, he was unhappy. So he cut his losses, walked away from the big paycheques, and moved on with his life. I came to the realization that the outspoken, "nobody tells me what to do" persona Punk portrayed on TV wasn't just an act; it was an extension of his personality.

This was a guy that had worked his entire life to achieve something. (Technically, his goal was to be in the main event of WrestleMania, which is the premier event in all of pro wrestling, and he was unable to achieve it, which played a role in his leaving the company. But whatever.). He had dedicated years and years of his life to his career, and then realized that he didn't enjoy it anymore. So he walked away. I think most people hit a point where they don't enjoy their job anymore. Maybe they never did. But it's substantially easier to stay at a job you hate and complain, than it is to walk away and start over. Punk did the latter. And he walked away from A LOT. He valued his happiness over money.

That's what made him one of my heroes.

He was a big part of my decision to walk away from a really good paying warehousing job to become a stand up comedian. Hearing someone I respect so much explain his thought process behind a decision like that changed my life. I couldn't agree more that money isn't everything. Life is about doing what makes you happy. What's the point of chasing fame and fortune if you're miserable all the time? Punk is no longer involved in pro wrestling. He's wrote some comic books, and he's currently preparing for his second fight in UFC. He lost (badly) in his first fight, but he gave a speech afterwards that I still watch to this day.


(Skip until 2:26 to see CM Punk's post fight promo)


This was what he had to say, moments after getting his ass kicked in front of the world. I love it.

CM Punk is one of my heroes. He has been one of my biggest influences in life. I respect the hell out of him. and his "do what you want, fuck what they say" mentality. The pro wrestling fan in me hopes that he comes back to pro wrestling someday. I want to watch him do what he does best again. But the CM Punk fan in me hopes he never goes back. I hope he just keeps on doing whatever he wants to do. 

We should all be a little like CM Punk.

Thanks for reading. 

Adam

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Phil Brooks haha.
    I remember his schtick in the WWE. Considered him an over-acheiver.
    I also believe his "Voice of the voiceless" promo was unscripted and impromptu. I knew his days in the WWE were numbered based on his revelations about the business practices of the upper management and the like. I'm excited for him in his next MMA bout against Mike Jackson, I hope he doesn't get hurt and makes a good showing. If he were to win, well now that would be something!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this Adam, I also appreciate the integrity of a man like CM Punk, and now a man like you for taking a chance. It shows a unique character uncommon in most people.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete